Translate

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Summer Style: Espadrilles!

Ever since I can remember, I have had an affinity for espadrilles. Peep-toes, ankle laces, soft cream colored linen, playful polka dot print, glossy patent leather, shimmery gold metallic, and even fuzzy leopard espadrilles. I doubt there is a pair of espadrilles in existence that I wouldn't slip my feet into! 
Carmen Miranda inspired peeptoe espadrille platforms by Eric Michael
I can't even remember a summer that I didn't gallivant around in a pair of espadrilles. Espadrilles are my quintessential summer staple - they strike the perfect balance between earthy and glamorous. I suppose that is why they appeal to me so much. I have always envisioned myself to be a character in one of those classic Italian or French New Wave films by the likes of the great Vittorio de Sica or Federico Fellini. I remember one summer in particular - it was the summer that I fled my home country for the sanctuary of my adopted homeland. I stayed for three whole months, alone. I remember the steamy summer nights dancing at cafe's that stayed open way past midnight, vodka cocktail in hand, and metallic gold espadrilles shimmering under the lights of the discoteque. I remember wearing tomato red and cream polka dot peeptoe espadrilles while sitting by the glassy lake drinking macchiato's with my girlfriends at our favorite cafe, Aquarius. Most of all I remember the dark blue velvet nights when I would meet my lover for a secret rendezvous in a little cobblestone alleyway underneath by balcony. I always wore outfits that La Loren herself would have worn - one time it was a dark lime green peasant dress with cream colored polka dots, cream linen peeptoe espadrilles, and gold hoop earrings. Another time it was a vivid flame red pencil skirt with large white buttons down the back, black silk espadrilles, and a patent leather waist cincher. Another time it was just my soft pink negligee trimmed in bright tangerine lace, and my gold espadrilles. Whatever it was that I wore, espadrilles were always a vital part of it. Enough of the literary foolishness, lets get down to the photographs!
Cary Grant and Grace Kelly

Espadrille street style!
Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart
Bogey and Bacall
 I hope you enjoyed this post!

 Comrade Von Pussycat

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!