Translate

Monday, September 14, 2015

A Few Simple Pleasures...

One of my favorite 1940's rayon dresses in dark navy with cream polka dots - practical and beautiful. It reminds me of the dresses that little old ladies wear in the village. I have a strong affinity for dressing like a peasant - I've never felt particularly comfortable in expensive or designer things.

"Don't explain your philosophy. Embody it."
- Epictetus

 Life is simply a series (sequence) of fond memories and simple pleasures. Ever since I can remember, I've felt a strong magnetic pull toward the natural, simple things in life. Even as a little girl I saw the beauty in the most modest of my surroundings. I suppose growing up in provincial settings has also contributed to my deep love of village life, although even before that, the nature of my native California completely captivated me as a child. My soul has never been much impressed by earthly riches. I truly, deeply believe that a person can be deliriously happy with very few material possessions, in spite of being surrounded by a society that urges you to consume, consume, consume. I find it deeply disturbing that my peers are obsessed with fame & celebrity, money, conformist beauty, and material possessions to the point of existing merely to obtain these fleeting pleasures (?). This isn't even coming from a religious perspective, simply a philosophers perspective.

I know I often proclaim my love for Federico Fellini's work here, but another reason I deeply respect the man is because of his blatant disregard for money. He rarely carried it. He rarely knew how much of it was in his bank account. He didn't make films with the end goal of obtaining it. Whenever I watch one of his films, or a Vittorio de Sica film, I can see the most mundane details in a beautiful, almost ethereal, light. Housewives wearing simple rayon dresses and wooden clogs coming home from the market carrying cloth bags full of peasant bread, onions, and fresh tomatoes. Stout, sun-wrinkled old ladies in perfect chignons watching their grandchildren play in the cobblestone alleys of the village. Weathered old men in worn trousers and wife-beaters playing chess at the cafe, slowly sipping something clear from shot glasses and shouting obscenities at each other. I adore village life.

I am a natural born idealist of the highest order. I see beauty in most things. As an INFJ, I am a strange mix of maverick and traditionalist; empath and hermit; hedonist and innocent. I am constantly a walking contradiction. I absorb other peoples feelings upon first contact, and I can feel your perspective without you explaining it. I know how you feel about everything. Why am I writing this? Because I want to tell you that it is the simple things in life that truly matter. It is my wish that this blog will serve as a documentary of sorts. A documentary of a series of simple pleasures that are attainable to every person, regardless of background and social status. 

Take time for yourself. Be positive. Indulge in the little things. Breathe deeply. Take in the details. Put your phone down. Be a conscious being. Feel deeply. Express yourself. Don't let bitterness or regret dominate your life. Don't be afraid of what other people think. Don't be a cynic. Be present. Just be.
Enjoying the late Summer produce in the best way possible - a Caprese salad comprised of fragrant basil, ripe tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella.
Beautiful bread. Bread is so important to me. I could never give it up.
Is it just me, or does an egg just make anything more luxurious? Saturday morning breakfasts in our home are usually comprised of a hearty piece of toast, smeared with fresh chive cream cheese, topped with creamy avocado, and finished with a slow-poached or crispy fried egg. I call them slutty-fried eggs ;) Add sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Such an aphrodisiac!
Autumn decorating - I decided to rearrange a few things around the house and found three of my favorite books to display, along with these brightly colored clementines in an olive green glass candy dish. Surrounding myself with beautiful details makes me happy.
You don't have to be rich to afford style or luxury. I love serving fresh fruit on these vintage dessert pedestals, they always add a subtle touch of glamour to the room.
Comrade Von Pussycat

2 comments:

  1. My dear little Pussycat. That was a beautiful essay. I agree with you in every way. I grew up in a farm town in Montana and I still remember fondly the farm ladies in their over-washed cotton dresses and little kids in well worn t-shirts and baggy jeans and overalls, all in dusty practical shoes. The beautiful simple things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie! What a beautiful picture you just painted - I bet you have so many beautiful stories to tell of your childhood :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!