Translate

Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Importance of Eyebrows

I remember my first plucking experience. It happened when I was twelve years old, when my two bestest friends in the whole wide world decided that it was time for an eyebrow intervention. Being born with naturally thick and dark eyebrows, they decided that it was time to give me that "90's" eyebrow...you know, part Chola girl and part Mariah Carey. Yes, we were children of the 90's, society and fashion dictated that our eyebrows be pencil thin or we weren't "in" (God forbid!). I had never had any issues with my full eyebrows, but as I was pinned to the bathroom floor by my two best friends (who had the best intentions, I am sure), I gave in reluctantly to my impending brow makeover. "Pain is beauty!", my one friend shouted, as my arms were held firmly to the floor by the other. After the makeover had been completed, and every stray hair had been plucked, I looked in the mirror. Not only were my eyebrows pencil thin, but they had plucked them to oblivion. Half of my eyebrows were missing. Ever since then, I have struggled to find a perfect balance between shaped and thick. I have decided to grow my eyebrows out and fill them in ever so slightly. I want Elizabeth Taylor eyebrows, by golly, and I will get them! Here are a few pictures for inspiration:












6 comments:

  1. Ha, I gave up years ago. Never could get both brows to look the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, don't give up Thorne! It just takes patience...which is so hard when it comes to eyebrows. I don't know why. We get so obsessive compulsive about stray hairs! Patience is a virtue :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have thick black eyebrows too. It always annoyed me but then in high school I figured out my shape and have varied very little from it. Sometimes I thin out the arch but not too much. I'm always afraid of over-plucking and going bald on my eyebrows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know so many people who ruined their eyebrows by overplucking, and now they won't grow back! Your eyebrows are such a gift, I wish mine were darker, I dye mine black :P

      Delete
  4. Hello! Love your blog. I remember the days I just started out with make up and was too scared to fill in my eyebrows. Now I can't imagine not doing them, although I do them pretty subtly. Oh I wish for Audrey's eyebrows. Scratch that, I wish to be as beautiful as her in general. :D

    http://meggymoo0.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for following my blog Meg! Your comment made my day :) Sometimes I really have to get used to having filled in eyebrows, I think subtlety is best for starters...until I get up the courage to go full our Liz! I subscribed to your blog, can't wait to see your new posts!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!